Wednesday, April 22, 2009

N is for Navy

I have a lot of pregnant friends. And up until now I have not really thought much of it. But after going to San Diego and traveling with two very lovely, very pregnant ladies- I learned that being pregnant has its perks. Such as: Preboarding on airplanes. That was maybe my favorite part of the trip. Not having to fight the people in the Zoo that is the Southwest boarding process. We just walked right on. Picked out favorite seats and then felt sorry for all of the people fighting with all of their might to get the last window seat. Thanks pregnant friends.

My favorite part about this preboard pass we got? It says we were preboarding on "the basis of disability." No arguments there.

So for those who don't know. We are contemplating joining the Navy. Tyler has just always really wanted to serve his country. ha. Um. Right. Or...we really love the rocking deal that the Navy offers. So they carted all of us crazy people who think joining the military sounds like fun down to San Diego for a few days. Attendees included the Jacksons, Bendixsens and us among many other medical applicants. We met some amazing people. It was a fast paced information overload type of trip...but we managed to enjoy ourselves none-the-less.

Here we are enjoying the San Diego sunshine.


We actually really loved getting to tour some of the Navy ships. It was pretty amazing. Below are a few highly illegal snap shots of some of the ships. Seriously, they would "confiscate" my camera if they saw me take these shots. But thats how I roll. So please don't pass these along to any of your Al Qaeda friends okay?

If we ever got the feeling that Tyler was going to get deployed, we think we would try to have him volunteer to go on this ship, The Mercy. It only goes on humanitarian missions. It is super awesome. It is one gigantic floating hospital that goes to countries in need and offers medical assistance.


This is us on the Mercy. We were super duper VIP because they Navy rarely let civilians on their ships. Sorry everyone, I know how desperately you all want to tour one. : )


This is an example of the type of ship I would not want Tyler on.

While the prospect of joining the Navy is a bit daunting, we are actually pretty excited about all of the opportunities that it offers. We don't have to make any big decisions until August, so we are just going to see how we feel in a month. It is a lot to think about...but I can say I don't think I would complain about spending a few years in San Diego. If any of you know anyone who paid for school through the Navy let me know! I would still love to hear more from people who already went through the process. And just a little something to look forward to...if we do end up joining you can all start calling Tyler Lieutenant Scott. That might be worth it right there...especially if you throw in a salute!

3 comments:

I'm A said...

A quote:

"Hmm. I don't know about this."

-Mom

Dasha said...

Oh man. The military scares me.

AztecAlum said...

We're all for it! I hope see you guys down here in 3 years.