Thursday, December 17, 2009

Who doesn't love giant fans taking over their house?

After aforementioned sewage flood we needless to say had some clean-up to do. After our moron apartment manager informed me that we would not be having anyone come to disinfect our bathrooms, the task fell to me. Suffice it to say I was not pleased. After I could delay no longer I finally set to the task. Again suffice it to say it took all the will power I could muster not to barf in the tub and shower. They were that bad. Just as I set into my work the flooring guys who were supposed to show up "first thing in the morning!" finally appeared (at 7:45 PM). They informed us that all of flooring in the bathroom had to come out and half of the carpet in our bedroom did as well. Awesome. So while they were demo-ing Steve and Danielle's (who were lucky enough to experience the same flood) house I proceeded to scour the bathrooms. First with a highly concentrated dose of bleach, second with a round of soft scrub and third, just for good measure, mold and mildew remover for the whole bathroom. My bathrooms smelled like a clean hospital room for all of five minutes before the floor guys were back and tearing my house apart. Now we have a grand total of three very large industrial fans and one giant anti-humidifier in our room/bathroom. I woke up this morning to dry cracked skin and intensely staticy hair thanks to that baby. A word to the wise for all of you out there who have not had the sheer pleasure of a flood...just don't let it happen. Thats really all. Also, if there is anyone out there who has ever wondered what it felt like to be in a hurricane I invite you to come stand in our bathroom.
There was a high point to all of this fun however. My sweet friend Dian at work gave me these babies to make the scrubbing less horrifying. They did the trick marvelously. Plus- they are awesome and cute.

Also- I found it highly embarrassing when the floor guy asked me to clear out my closet floor so they could tear up the carpet...meaning...I had to remove all of my shoes while he stood there watching. It was a good reminder that maybe there comes a time when one has enough shoes...and then again...maybe not. :)

Next Chapter: Plumber comes and actually fixes whatever it is that is causing our house to overflow with sewer water. And, it may be a good idea to clean up our backyard which is currently acting as holding spot for all water/sewer coming from our building. But don't worry, I won't post any pictures of that. Lets just say I will NEVER again walk barefoot on our lawn area. And I advise you to do the same.

7 comments:

todd and erin said...

Wow. This is intense. Nice work on the deep cleaning. I'm very sorry you had to go through living in a crap hole. Do you at least get new carpet after this? I would kill for new carpet.

daniellejackson said...

here's a fun pic! http://steveanddaniellejackson.blogspot.com/2009/12/sewage.html

kliso said...

Well Meg just come home and I have a brand clean NEW bathroom waiting for you.Can't wait to see you!

Brittany Schmidt said...

Wow! That is incredible. If you ever need a place to just chill, come on over. And you can even stay over here this weekend while we are gone if you want. Geez! Stupid Janice...

Matt and Melissa said...

Oh my gosh, you are one tought cookie. I don't know how much cleaning I would get done before puking my guts out. hope it gets better!!!

Andrea Mouritsen said...

POOOOP

AztecAlum said...

Could be worse, if you were in California, they would have had to tear up your walls too (remember when you visited for the Super Bowl)!