Monday, May 10, 2010

Drama, Drama, Drama

After nearly 6 years without any major medical conditions, accidents, or trauma I suppose I should have known that we were due. I would like to think that I have a sixth sense when it comes to these sort of things. I was late to Tyler's softball game on Friday night and I kept thinking "Please do not let him get hurt while I am not there!" Impressive? You might think so, except this is the mantra I chant nearly every time I go anywhere without Tyler. I suppose I owe this to knowing him through the injury ridden years.

Well to make a long story short Tyler flew threw the air with the greatest of ease to catch a line drive to center field. And after catching the ball in what was serious style, he landed full force on his right shoulder. We called it a 'stinger', something that would surely wear off. I even made him drive the car home after I locked us out of said car {we are not even getting into that part of the story but thanks to Stevenson for rescuing us}. After several hours of pain, we finally got his jersey off to discover that his shoulder was actually not attached to the clavicle. Beautiful sight. So after a lovely trip to the ER {complete with cocktails of sprite and cranberry juice} we were given the verdict. Broken clavicle. Dislocated shoulder. Excellent.

Truth be told it could have been much worse and he should, SHOULD, heal up on his own. He should be back to using his arm in basic ways in a few weeks. So we are focusing on healing now.
After vast amounts of disappointment upon realizing the many things he would not be able to participate in, including but definitely not limited to, an awesome hike we were planning for Saturday - I decided we needed to do something very exciting. So...we went here:
If you have not been, you should. It will be in my heaven.
Tyler was deliriously happy despite the slinged arm. He is munching on The Babs. Bacon, apple, blue cheese, and swiss on Rye. It is incredible.
The Gabby. Four cheeses topped with avocado. I am dying just writing about it.
I love the hippie bus fully equipped with tables for the whole family.
We wiped this frown upside down. Grilled Cheese Grill. Go. Now.
Now I just have to figure out how we are going to get Tyler though the rest of the week. While he is busy struggling to get dressed on his own, I will be partying it up in NYC. And while I am terribly excited, I feel like an awful wife. Take care of him friends, will you?

9 comments:

kliso said...

I wanted to see the broken clavicle. You need to remember to take pictures of things like that. I bet it was awesome. And when I come to Portland this summer I definitely want to go to the hippy bus for some grilled cheese. That is one of the coolest things I have seen. I LOVE GRILED CHEESE!

Have fun in NY and take good care of mom.

The McBrides said...

poor tyler! That really sucks, tell him to get well soon for me! Who are you going to NYC with? THat is SO exciting, I can't wait to hear all about it!

Matt and Melissa said...

Hope he gets better soon! that is such a bummer, glad it wasn't worse though I guess.

Caitlin said...

Awww... feel better Tyler! I am sure the Grill Cheese Bus made him feel better, at least I know it would make me feel better :) Yum.

Andrea Mouritsen said...

I wans to go! Thas my favorite place sarser!

Christina and Jason said...

I love that you made him drive the car home..ha. A broken clavicle sounds pretty painful actually. I like the Grilled cheese place, that is genius! Do they serve tomato soup too?..they should. Have fun in NYC! Oh, and I think Tyler will give you much cuter children than Nash, so good choice :)

AztecAlum said...

...I just want to confirm that he did make the catch?

Hang in there!

Ty and Meg said...

He did in fact make the catch. Which is why he could handle the fact that he broke himself! :) haha

jt_mama said...

Only my husband would ask that.
Such brothers!