Thursday, May 20, 2010

A new view (for me) on womanhood

Seeing as I am surrounded by a myriad of pregnant, recently pregnant or soon to be pregnant women I get to participate in a lot of baby, birth and pregnancy talk. Some of it I tune out, because I am just not there yet, some of it I laugh at, some of it I try to remember for my future life as a mother. I have a lot of wonderful women in my life to learn from and I am ever so grateful for that.

Today my sister, who is having a baby girl in July and is also planning on a natural childbirth, shared with me a birth story of an old friend of hers. It is an amazing and spiritual picture of her natural childbirth experience. It made me think about birth in a way I had not before.
I know that deciding how to deliver your children is very personal. I am so grateful we live in a time where we as women have the opportunity to choose, and that if we choose to go the natural route, that we have incredible medical professionals available if needed. While I have not had any children myself, I feel certain that childbirth is a unique and life changing expereince no matter the method of delivery.

With that in mind, if you would like to read Rebecca's experience please click here. The part that I loved are the last two paragraphs before the first photograph {whew! Did you get that?} If this story is not an empowering and moving passage about the beauty {and challenges} of womanhood, I am afraid I do not know what is.

**Becky has asked that none of her pictures or her story be copied, or posted on the internet. If you for any reason choose to share her story please only link to her page.**

1 comment:

Andrea Mouritsen said...

I love Becky's story. Awesome stuff. Wouldn't it be amazing if more people took responsibility and educated themselves about thier health and their body and thier pregnancies? So many women have no idea what incredible things they are capable of.