Monday, June 14, 2010

13.1 miles and never better

I have now officially run my first race. I am happy to report that it was even more amazing and fun than I could have hoped for. It was an absolutely gorgeous day and the route was awesome. Helvetia is lovely. I was not totally sure how it was all going to go, but every one of my expectations was exceeded. I felt great for the whole run. The last mile was tough, but I will attribute that to chugging a cup of water down the wrong tube and nearly coughing to death. It was a rush to feel so great and to be doing something I had never done before. I can't wait for October when I am going to do my next run with a whole group of friends. Races are addicting. It was just one giant endorphin high and I seriously have never felt better than running down that sunny road with the most gorgeous views. I wish I could do it again this weekend. I finished in 2 hours and 14 minutes. I know that is slow, but it was a vast improvement from what I was expecting. I had been training at a slow pace and expecting to finish in about 2 hours 45 minutes. I am really going to work on increasing my speed for the next round. Goal? Under 2 hours. We will see how I do. Thanks to Brit for being the best running partner ever. We are superstars. Shortly after finishing the race. Feeling good with our medals and flowers.


Now, I just have to ponder if a full marathon sounds fun or awful. I am not totally sure yet. I had such a great time with the half that it would be a shame to go and ruin it with a full. For now, I am happy with what I did and looking forward to more sunny runs!

16 comments:

Andrea Mouritsen said...

I think it is awesome that you ran this! You should be really proud. And also...I'm glad it wasn't me.

The McBrides said...

I am really jealous, I have always thought that would be so much fun and such a great accomplishment, but I can't even run to our mailbox! Congratulations!

daniellejackson said...

You're totally an inspiration. You may have even inspired me to start running... maybe :)

Mary Kelly said...

Good for you! That is a HUGE accomplishment. I am currently training for my first 5k with hopes of a 1/2 marathon after. Thanks for the boost of motivation. Way to go!!!

Christina and Jason said...

Way to go Meg! I'm glad you now love to run and have found the addiction :) Now one day when we live close to each other we can run together...because of course we will live close to each other

Ty and Meg said...

haha You keep talking about how I hated to run in college. I have no memory of this...I ran all the time! You need to refresh me. haha Selective memory perhaps on one of our ends. Seriously though... :)

Dasha said...

Way to go! Glad your first race was such a good experience. And I love the top you wore, by the way. Very cute.

Matt and Melissa said...

Congrats Megan!! So proud of you. What is the race in October?

Unknown said...

way to go girl! isn't it so addicting?? Come try a ragnar relay they are freaking awesome!

Lindsay said...

Hear hear! I am running my second half in August, and am so excited to do it again. My first one I was pregnant with Campbell, so I'm hoping I can really improve upon my time this go around. It truly is addicting, and such a great sense of accomplishment. Way to Go!!!

Rickie said...

Wow Megan!!! I couldn't begin to run that many miles. Last summer I did a thirteen mile hike...walking... and by the time end...I couldn't walk anymore. You're amazing.

Caitlin said...

Awesome! You're one of those hot runners too, you know, one of those runners that you look at and think "man, she's hot, I should be a runner so I can be hot like her". Truly an inspiration.

kliso said...

Way to go girl. so proud of you!

kliso said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Molly M said...

Wow, chick! That is amazing. Thanks to hip and knee problems, Ill most likely have to run halfs and marathons vicariously through people. You rock! Congrats!

Taylor and Cami Weight said...

Congrats Megan! That is awesome!