Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Some Must Push and Some Must Pull

Trek, as expected, was absolutely incredible. Who would have thought that pushing/pulling a handcart could be so much fun? We felt the spirit of the Lord so strong each day as we walked, struggled and had fun. It was awesome to be around the selfless people that put this whole thing together and to see how amazing and strong (both physically and spiritually) the youth of my church are. It was almost overwhelming at times to be surrounded by so much goodness.
*
It felt odd to be on the 'adult' side of things. It was a strange realization that I was no longer one of the kids, but a wonderful realization that I was happy to be where I was. I got to know some amazing people, and got to spend time with people that I already admired so much. Plus...being an 'adult' has its bonuses. Such as getting to sit on a camp chair instead of a bucket or on the ground. Unfortunately the toilet situation was the same for all.
*
On the last morning we sat and listened to the youth share their feelings, testimonies and experiences from trek. I could not believe how strong and faithful they all are. They are proud to be Latter Day Saints. They are incredible. I love my church so much, and feel so lucky to be able to work with the youth. They inspire me to be a better person and to be stronger in my faith. Plus they are adorable.
So all in all - the whole weekend was amazing. The beautiful Raleigh Hills Young Women. These ladies are incredible. I feel very lucky to get to spend time with them each week. They are smart, fun, and so faithful.
My new friend, Miss Darcy Rhodes. We are pioneer soul sisters.
This little guy was created not by the 15 year old boys, but by the adults. It just goes to show that boys never really do grow up.
The trail was beautiful and rugged. I loved the scenery we got to travel through. It was not easy terrain. I was so impressed with how tough everyone was. I had a really hard go on the last 3 miles of the day. I had to do some serious off roading in a beautiful land rover instead of walking. Its a hard knock life. I know. I know. Sigh. The father figures serenading the group.
We rested where we could.
Some of the lovely ladies in my ward.
Jessica, Colleen, Stefani and me.
I am so glad I got to be one of the lucky few adults (am I really an adult??) to go on this adventure. I loved (nearly) every second of it. And I am truly blessed to get to work and play with such amazing girls. I love my Raleigh Hills Young Women!
*
And as a side note, my big acting debut took place on trek. Jim Bridger, the hottest mountain man of all tried to get me to marry him. That would just never do, so I lied and told him I was already married. Then, in order to avoid his retaliation I ended up marrying the tall dark and handsome (at least that is how I picture him being) George Peacock (true Pioneer story people). Maybe if you are all REALLY lucky I will post the video footage. Maybe.

6 comments:

The McBrides said...

oh the video footage must be posted, must. Does it not seem like we were just on trek in with the ole Holladay North Stake? Weird. we are old. Don't let me down on the olive garden date, my heart is already set on it.

daniellejackson said...

Great pictures! What an awesome experience!

Andrea Mouritsen said...

Cute pictures. I've never been on Trek and I'm kind of sad about it. Maybe someday.

Dasha said...

Post the video! I'm sure it's awesome. Glad you enjoyed trek. The last time I went was when I was 18 and Logan and I were a Ma and Pa and Nate was our pretend child. Classic. I would love to go again, though. Not showering is my favorite thing.

Caitlin said...

Awesome! You are a way hot pioneer, I am jealous. I'm starting to wish pioneer garb would come back in style, bloomers would be so much comfortable than skinny jeans! I bet you were a great example to all those young ladies, great work meg!

lindsey said...

Im pretty sure you arent supposed to look that cute being a pioneer and trecking across the mountain range. It kind of makes me want to french brain my hair and wear an apron all day!