Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Costal Daycation

A few weeks ago we took a spur of the moment daycation to the coast. We have now officially driven the entire Oregon coast and stopped in nearly every (maybe every) town along the way. We love the coast and had such an awesome day just doing whatever we felt like doing. I love a day with no plans. We were prepared for serious hiking, but again we were lazy and ended up just doing some mini hikes and a nice long walk along the beach in Seaside.We had never been to Seaside or Astoria so we spent some time in both locations. I really enjoyed Seaside. Once we got into Astoria we decided to cross the giant bridge over the Columbia to Washington so we could visit "Cape Disappointment." Again, I am not a lover of things over water, so this was a slightly stressful 4 1/2 miles for me. But the view was amazing so I tried to enjoy myself. We stopped at one of the best lighthouses I have seen on the coast. It was beautiful. It was awesome to be able to look out to one side and see the ocean, and out to the other side see the Columbia with the beautiful coastal mountains. Our final stop for the day was at the cleverly named Astoria Column.We climbed the bajillion stairs up to that top platform. The view was incredible.
Here you can see the awesome bridge we took across the Columbia. Those three distinct ridges you can see in the distance to the left in the picture above is our next big hike. I believe it is called Saddle Mountain and I am already afraid. We have found that the coastal mountains are a bit steep. Rather reminiscent of the Wasatch Front...{shudder}It was a beautiful day and so nice to get out and about after a lot of rain. Portland is making me frustrated this summer.

Luckily there is always something to do or see, so we manage to keep busy and ignore the crappy weather.

6 comments:

kliso said...

Hey Meg, I love the light house picture. I think I could hang that on my gigantic wall in the family room. You will have to give me your opinion when you are home.

Dasha said...

Absolutely gorgeous. You have some mad photography skills.

Caitlin said...

you guys are so cute. I am jealous of your west coast adventures! And meg, I will so be in town! I marked it on my calendar, give me a call!

the Baker 4 said...

We went to that light house & Astoria Column & that bridge when we was in Oregon....I loved all of them....Would love to go back it is so beautiful there.

Katie Apker said...

Tyler is a mountain man!!

Ty and Meg said...

Ha! Seriously Katie...but not anymore. Beard is all gone.