Wednesday, July 6, 2011

We are thinking about becoming Canadian.

After deciding that Tyler should not get a week off if I don't get a week off, I bailed on work and thanks to the adventure loving Mar and Lar we headed to Canada for an incredible week. I fell in love with Vancouver about 20 seconds after pulling into the city. But we will get to that later. Before we got to Canada we stopped for a few days in Cascades National Park.
This is another somewhat unknown park in the Pacific Northwest and we absolutely loved it. It was beyond gorgeous. All the lakes and rivers are fed by a glacier, so they were an amazing blue/green color.
Just for the record, I would like to dedicate this trip and all the posts relating to it, to my nature loving sister. You're welcome A.
I am so grateful that we have taken the time and had the opportunity to explore the area that we have been living in for the past 3 years. I know we are possibly running out of exploration time, so we are packing in as much as we can in our last year. We have fallen in love with this gorgeous part of the country and I know we will miss it every day when and if we leave. There is nothing more invigorating than a gorgeous hike and visiting places you have never seen before. I am so lucky to have Ty who is even more eager than I am to be outside and to keep active. And he got all of that love of the great outdoors and the extra energy from his awesome mom Mar. She is 60 going on 30 and we love her for it!
We did some amazing hikes. The first was to a beautiful blue lake with a view of Pyramid Peak. It was a pretty solid hike and I was 100% impressed with Lar, who at 71 did the whole hike like a champ. We hiked a total of 8 miles that day. I can only hope I am 1/2 as fit as him when I am 40, let alone 70.
The end of the hike.
A beautiful mountain lake with "log gardens."
Tyler risked his life climbing the side of a mountain to snap some lovely wild flower shots.

Hike number two of the day was to a beautiful overlook of Ross Lake. The sun came out and it was a stunning view of mountain peaks and the river. I was in heaven. I had forgotten what the sun felt like.

Soaking in the sun at the top of the hike.
We stopped at another overlook on our way back to town. A huge bald eagle flew right in front of us while we were standing here. It was pretty awesome.

On our way out of Washington we stopped for a fantastic view of Mt. Baker in the sunshine.

We got a taste of small town America at its finest on this piece of our trip. The highlight was when we stopped and asked a woman and her three legged dog where we could find breakfast. In addition to where we could eat we learned all about the three families that settled the God forsaken town, what they all liked to do, why they set up a winery, and something about how her great great something or other was a lady who sold moonshine instead of working in the whore house because she knew how to make her money standing up. Classy lady. Classy town.
Now, on to Canada.

5 comments:

daniellejackson said...

Pretty pics! I would have loved to meet that classy lady!

Andrea Mouritsen said...

It looks really beautiful. However, it seems like there may have been a lot of walking? If so... less pretty.

Dasha said...

That looks absolutely gorgeous. I'm excited to hear about the rest of the trip!

Christina and Jason said...

Haha sounds like a classy lady. In Memphis we have people with tattoos across their lower-lower abdomen saying "money maker" just learned about that one yesterday. Ha. Anyway, glad you had a good time and I think you need to send me that feeling of being on a mountain. I miss that. I need to call you about an adventure idea. Be excited. Think graduation celebration. Oh, and your in-laws remind me very much of mine. I think maybe they could be friends.

Ty and Meg said...

AH! Love it! Why did we not think of this sooner? Of COURSE we should do a graduation celebration! Very excited now.