Thursday, November 18, 2010

the M word.

I have been chatting a lot lately with my friend at work about marriage and why and how it works for some people and not for others. I have been so discouraged by so many media stories of spouses cheating and leaving their families for things that are so fleeting and often immoral. I have seen interviews and talk shows and read articles about how difficult marriage is and how unlikely you are to succeed. I have seen heartache of friends and family that I can't even imagine. I have really begun to realize how grateful I am for my religion that has taught me how to have a happy and successful marriage and family life. That is not to say that I don't mess things up by my poor or selfish choices on a regular basis, but no matter what dumb thing I do (or on a rare occasion Tyler does) I always know that it is fixable and manageable. And while I have to agree that marriage can be hard work, I really don't see it that way. Marriage is uplifting and fulfilling and one of the only things that brings me happiness every single day. I have a partner in crime for the rest of my life and beyond. How can I view that as hard work? My marriage gives me power and confidence to improve myself, my life and my happiness. Why would we marry if not to make life better and more successful? I read an article today that was so refreshing. Basically it said to take some responsibility for your own relationship and happiness. Everything is two sided and you have as much a part to play in your happiness as your partner does. I don't want to sound insensitive, because I know there are extenuating circumstances which may not apply to that sentence. I also know that I have a long way to go on that path. I am really skilled at playing the victim in every possible scenario, but I am working on it. Guess whose decision it is to be selfish and to feel sorry for myself? Its mine. At least I recognize that right? So to wrap it up, I am grateful that there are people out there who view marriage as I do. That it is not a burden, it is not a temporary relationship and it is not one sided. And boy am I grateful to have a wonderful husband who sees the world very similarly to me and is willing to enjoy the wild ride of life when we don't see eye to eye. And somehow we always seem to make it work, and even come out better in the end.

Read the article here. Its nice and short. And as I said, refreshing.

10 comments:

todd and erin said...

Great post! Marriage can be the greatest blessing in life. But it is a two person job that you have to be willing to work at.

daniellejackson said...

Amen! I agree, marriage takes work, but it's not hard work if you choose to enjoy it!

Tara said...

Well said! Marriage is definitely hard work sometimes, but well worth it!

Dasha said...

Well said, Megan. And not to make light of this topic or anything, but my co-worker just informed me that Eva Longoria is ditching Tony Parker for Steve freaking Nash. What in the world?

Paula said...

I've always seen it as a three legged race. You have to work at going in the same direction and going at the same speed or you are screwed. And sometimes your partner might be moving in a different direction a little sooner than you hoped. Trick is to keep talking and either keep up or have him slow down.
p.s. i'd rather trade out the word work than the word hard. (make what you want of that one). Miss you, moggy.

Unknown said...

Amen Megs! Great article, it spoke right to me this week!

Lindsay said...

Very nicely said. I too, have had lots of thoughts on this subject lately, as I have seen close friend's have their marriage's end in divorce. Your thoughts are perfect, and I could not agree more. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Super awesome post Megan! I wish more people out there would view marriage the same way, and I love what you said, as I too am gratefull for a religion that really gives us the big picture. YAY!

Andrea Mouritsen said...

I would like to comment on this after my life permits me to read the article. However, I will say, that I view marrying B as the best decision I ever made. And I view a happy marriage, where you consider your spouse your best friend, the single best accomplishment you can have in life. It does take work. But its definitly worth it.

Caitlin said...

mmm hmm. Well said. We are lucky girls to live with our best friend who happens to be charming, cute, and kind. I'm happy you married your man and that you are both so good to each other.